Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a topping for tostadas in Mexico. You can use as many ingredients as you like, depending on what you have available. The only thing I would not omit are the spices, tomatoes, onions and garlic. The measurements for the spices are an average--you can add more or less according to taste.
- 1⁄2 kg flank steak
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 large lime, juice of
- 1 habanero pepper, chopped very fine
- 2 -3 leaves lettuce, chopped
- 2 -3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 nopal leaf, grilled (dice after grilling)
- 1 large avocado (Garnish)
- 1⁄4 cup of queso Cotija cheese, crumbled (Garnish)
- refried beans
- salsa or green chili salsa
- In a pressure cooker, cook meat in water seasoned with onion garlic and herbs (your choice) and salt and pepper until tender.
- Remove meat from broth and let cool (I save the broth and use it for soup).
- Once cool, shred the beef either in a food processor or by hand. You want very thin strands of beef.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients along with the olive oil and lime juice.
- Chill in fridge or serve at room temperature on tostadas spread first with refried beans and then the Salpicon.
- Garnish with avocado, Cotija Cheese and salsa of your choice.