Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This wonderful Brazilian salad showcases shredded chicken and crispy fried potatoes. You can prepare the chicken a day in ahead, but fried potatoes should be added just before serving so that they stay crisp.
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 whole chicken breasts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄3 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 scallions, white and light-green parts only, chopped
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 lbs carrots
- 5 lbs white potatoes
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup homemade mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- Peel and mince 1 onion, and set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken breasts; brown on each side for 10 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, reserved minced onion, and paprika. Sauté until onion becomes soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add parsley and scallions; simmer until softened, about 5 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a large bowl to cool. Strain cooking liquid; pour over chicken. Working over the bowl, remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Using your fingers, shred meat. Cover, and chill 30 minutes.
- Cut beans into 1/4-inch-long pieces. Place in a bowl; set aside. Wash, peel, and grate carrots. Place in another bowl; set aside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch cut beans until just tender, about 2 minutes. Remove beans from water using a slotted spoon. Place in bowl of ice water to cool. Remove from water, and set aside. Return salted water to a boil. Blanch carrots, until just wilted, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon, and place in a bowl of ice water to chill. Drain carrots, and set aside. Slice remaining onion into thin rounds. Place in a third bowl; cover, and set aside.
- Wash and peel potatoes. Place in a large bowl; cover with cold water. Set aside.
- Cover bottom of a medium stockpot with 2 inches of vegetable oil. Heat oil until a frying thermometer registers 375°F.
- Grate a potato over a towel, pat dry, and immediately place in hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove potato from oil, and transfer to a large paper-towel-covered surface; drain. Repeat with remaining potatoes, adding vegetable oil if necessary.
- In a large serving bowl, toss all reserved ingredients with mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
I looked up more of your recipes last month and tried this one. It is very showy and people who came for dinner said it was the best thing they've had in a long time! Thank you for posting this!
We have now tried all of your recipes and we are now big fans! This one was labour intensive, but a labor of love indeed! We shared this at my family reunion and it was the first dish to go empty on the potluck table! Thank you!