1/1 Photo of Salpicón De Res (Central American Shredded Beef Salad)
2 hrs 20 mins
Popular throughout Central America, salpicón is a refreshing salad that is great as a topping for tostadas or wrapped in fresh corn tortillas. It is especially easy to make in large quantities for parties and family gatherings. This version uses vinegar while the Mexican version tends to include lime juice. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -2 1/2 lbs beef flank steak or 2 -2 1/2 lbs skirt steaks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 serrano chilies, chopped or minced
- 2 avocados, chopped
- lime wedge (optional)
- lettuce leaf, to put salad on (optional)
- 1Add the beef, onion and salt to a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is very tender. Remove the meat and reserve the stock for soup or other recipes. Shred the meat with your fingers when it is cool enough to handle.
- 2Add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper to a large bowl and whisk together. Add the tomatoes, sliced onion and chiles and toss together. Set a side for a few minutes to let the vegetables marinate.
- 3Gently toss the shredded beef and avocados with the marinated vegetables and adjust seasoning. Spread on a serving platter and serve chilled or at room temperature with warm tortillas.
- 5Salpicón can also be made with chicken (salpicón de pollo), seafood (salpicón de mariscos) or tuna (salpicón de atún).
- 6Other possible additions: chopped lettuce, chopped cucumbers, olives, pickled jalapeños.
- 7Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro and crumbled queso fresco if you like.
- 8Substitute sour orange juice or lime juice for the vinegar for a more tropical flavor.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salpicón De Res (Central American Shredded Beef Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 821.3
- Calories from Fat 486
- Total Fat 54.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 183.7 mg
- Sodium 135.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 66.0 g