Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Found online; posting for ZWT 7-Central America (Guatemala). Recipe states: It is a refreshing salad that is great as a topping for tostadas or wrapped in fresh corn tortillas.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs beef flank steak or 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs skirt steaks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 serrano chilies, minced
- 2 avocados, chopped
- Add the beef, onion and salt to a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- Remove the meat and reserve the stock for soup or other recipes. Shred the meat with your fingers when it is cool enough to handle.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the tomatoes, sliced onion and chiles and toss together.
- Set a side for a few minutes to let the vegetables marinate.
- Gently toss the shredded beef and avocados with the marinated vegetables and adjust seasoning.
- Spread on a serving platter and serve chilled or at room temperature with warm tortillas.
Delicious and easy to make. I used skirt steak. I also chopped the onions and tomatoes, mixed everything together and made sandwiches with crusty bollilos and some romaine lettuce. Lots of flavor here.