Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was looking for a recipe for Saloon Pilot Crackers, originally made by Hilo Macaroni Factory in Hilo, HI. Per the history of this cracker, the Factory's recipe was based on a Hard Tack recipe shared by German cook from a visiting ship. Growing up in Hawaii, we ate these crackers with butter and guava jelly, or with avocado mashed wtih sugar. My parents would break the plain cracker up into a cup of coffee and milk and have it for breakfast! Here's a work-in-progress recipe for these crackers based on a Hard Tack recipe I found on the web.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead for five minutes.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out half of the dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- Use the rim of a cup or bowl cut out 12 circles, each about 3" across.
- Use a fork to prick the center of the circle a few times.
- Arrange on 2 baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven off and leave crackers in oven until completely cool.