Recipe by mplsgirl
I found this recipe in a 1993 Bon Appetit. I bought some wild mushrooms at the farmer's market, and wanted to use them with salmon I had, but you could easily do this with steak too. I would recommend any kind of mushrooms except for your average button or morels (the flavor wouldn't be good with the fish I don't think). The clam juice is not the tomato-based one - it's sort of clear, but in the same aisle.
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 5 shallots, minced
- 18 ounces wild mushrooms, can be mixed
- 3⁄4 cup bottled clam juice
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 6 salmon fillets
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the 4 tbsp butter in a large skillet over med. heat. Add the shallots and saute 2 minute Increase heat to med-high. Add mushrooms and saute until beginning to brown, about 8 minute
- Add clam juice and wine. Boil until liquids are syrupy and almost evaporated, about 20 minute
- Add cream and boil until thickened, about 1 minute Mix in tarragon, season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler or grill. Place salmon skin side down on rack. Brush with lemon juice, then the melted butter. Broil or grill, without turning, until just cooked through, about 7-8 minutes. Transfer to plates. Spoon mushroom mix over the top.