Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great dish to make during the summer when blackberries are in season and the salmon is at its prime,
- 3 shallots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chervil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs salmon fillets (skin and bones removed and cut into 4 pieces)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the shallots, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the sugar. Spread in a baking pan and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until the shallots are lightly browned and soft.
- Remove from the oven and spoon shallots and syrup into a mixing bowl with a lid. Add the blackberries and raspberry vinegar and toss gently to mix the ingredients, being careful not to break up the berries. Cover the bowl and set aside.
- Place a nonstick skillet large enough to hold the salmon fillets without crowding over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. While oil is heating, mix together the flour, chervill, parsley, salt and pepper on a plate or a piece of waxed paper. Pat both sides of the salmon fillets in the flour mixture, then shake off the excess.
- When the oil is hot, add the salmon fillets and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook 3 to 5 minutes more or until the fish just turns opaque.
- To serve, transfer the salmon fillets to individual plates and spoon compote over the top of the fish.
Made half a recipe but did include 2 shallots along with the rest of the ingredients! Am always interested in finding new ways to fix salmon, so this recipe was a great find for me! Enjoyed the combo of flavors in the fruity compote, & over the salmon it was NICE, SO VERY NICE! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed while touring Canada on Zaar World Tour 4]