Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Food and Wine, May 2002
- 24 ounces salmon fillets, skinless
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus enough to dust fillets
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- steamed rice, for serving
- Dust the salmon fillets lightly with cayenne, salt, pepper and the turmeric.
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crushed tomatoes with the cream, lemon juice, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and the 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter.
- Add the salmon and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Pour off the butter.
- Add the tomato sauce and bring too a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, turning the salmon halfway through and occasionally basting with the sauce, until the fish is just cooked, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to 4 plates and spoon the sauce on top. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve at once with steamed rice.