Recipe by whyloo
Salmon is a healthy and delicious fish, an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, special fats that can only be found in fish from cold, Northern waters including salmon, sardines, kippers, and mackerel. Be careful when buying your salmon, farmed salmon has high levels of PCBs, and ones from the Great Lakes or Atlantic Ocean have mercury levels, which are dangerous to pregnant women and children. The best salmon is wild from Alaska or California, and can be purchased at an organic grocery store. For more information about picking fish, go to www.greenguide.com. This dish is an excellent entree, served on a summer night with a side of fried rice with ginger and shitake mushrooms, and chilled asparagus. Adopted from recipes found the Epicurious website.
Top Review by TrickyClimber
One of the best Salmon recipes I've tried. I'm not the biggest fan of fish dishes, but this had me cleaning my plate. I cooked the Salmon on the BBQ on top of some foil with the edges turned up. Even my neighbors were complimenting me on how great my dinner smelled.
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced and peeled
- 2 1⁄2 lbs salmon fillets, center cut with skin
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
- olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (to season)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly oil a shallow baking pan for the salmon. Halibut can be substituted for the salmon, Alaskan halibut is preferable over Atlantic which is high in mercury.
- In a saucepan, simmer the maple syrup, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, dijon mustard, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and garlic for 30 minutes. Keep the sauce warm while you prepare the fish.
- Arrange the scallions in the pan to form a bed for the salmon.
- Put the salmon, skin down, in the bed of scallions. Season the salmon with salt and pepper, and pour the sauce made in step 1 over the fish. Cook the salmon in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Cut the salmon into six pieces. Arrange the salmon on top of salad greens (such as baby spinach) and sprinkle the scallions on top. Serve with a side dish such as Asian-inspired rice and with a lemon wedge as garnish.