Recipe by Normaone
Perfect for entertaining, this simple recipe is easy on the cook since a lot can be done in advance. The smokey bacon flavor with a hint of orange enhances the richness of the salmon.
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled finely chopped
- 4 slices orange rind, 2 inch long,orange part only
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 (8 ounce) salmon fillets, each cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- 6 slices bacon, each cut in half crosswise
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup snipped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup minced chives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine lentils, onion, carrot, orange peel and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring now and then.
- Drain, reserving 3/4 c cooking liquid.
- Discard orange peel.
- Return lentil mixture to pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- (can be made in advance).
- Cover and refrigerate keeping lentils and reserved cooking liquid separate.
- Preheat oven to 450^F.
- Place salmon on baking sheet.
- Wrap 1 bacon strip around each piece of salmon so that the bacon ends are on the bottom of the salmon.
- Bake until opaque in center, about 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, add enough reserved cooking liquid to lentils to moisten.
- Mix in cream, parsley, chives and tarragon.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Spoon lentils onto plates and top each plate with 3 salmon pieces.