Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a Ina Garten recipe that looked delicious and healthy! I haven't tried it but I sure plan to!!
- 1⁄2 lb french green lentil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus extra for salmon
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery (4 stalks)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots (3 carrots)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons good red wine vinegar
- 4 (8 ounce) center-cut salmon fillets, skin removed
- Place the lentils in a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saute pan, add the onions, leeks, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the drained lentils, celery, carrots, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Add the vinegar and season, to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- For the salmon, heat a dry oven-proof saute pan over high heat for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub both sides of the salmon fillets with olive oil and season the tops very liberally with salt and pepper.
- When the pan is very hot, place the salmon fillets seasoning-sides down in the pan and cook over medium heat without moving them for 2 minutes, until very browned.
- Turn the fillets and place the pan in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes, until the salmon is cooked rare.
- Spoon a mound of lentils on each plate and place a salmon fillet on top.
- Serve hot.
I tried this recipe after seeing it on Ina's show on TV. Our family loves it and I always make it as is. Note it does make a lot of lentils - we always have leftovers so I now cut that part of the recipe back. Glad you posted this - thanks!
I saw the episode where Ina made these lentils. They are fantastic! What a great tasting and healthy side dish. I didn't have leeks so I sub green onions. Came out perfect. This recipe as is makes alot - so I cut it in half and we got about 4 servings out of it. I highly recommend this dish!
Fantastic dish. I've seen this prepared on Barefoot Contessa twice now so I just had to make it. I didn't have leeks so used all yellow onion. That splash of red wine vinegar at the end really caps this off. Thanks!