Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from Gourmet Magazine. Yummy Salmon Variation!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 salmon fillets, 6 oz each
- 2 medium red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonsitick skillet over medium heat until hot. Pat salmon dry and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, then cook, skin side up, until undersides form a golden crust, 12-15 minutes.
- Turn fish over and cook until just cooked through, about 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until it shimmers, then saute onions until golden brown and crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until sauce is syrupy, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Spoon onions with sauce onto plates and top with salmon, skin side down.