Recipe by Hag chef
Elegant and romantic dining at its finest. This recipe comes from Canadian Living Cooks.
- 12 ounces boneless halibut, cubed
- 1 egg, white
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil or 1 tablespoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb salmon fillet (in one piece)
- 8 cups packed fresh spinach (most of a 10-ounce/284 g pkg)
- 0.5 (397 g) package puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, yolk
Shallot Cream Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped shallot (4 shallots)
- 1⁄3 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, whirl cubed halibut with egg white until smooth.
- Blend in whipping cream, lemon juice, chervil, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for at least 1 hour or for up to 4 hours.
- Salmon Wellington.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut salmon fillet crosswise into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices; cover and refrigerate.
- Trim spinach, removing stems; rinse and shake off excess water.
- In a large saucepan, cook spinach, with just the water clinging to leaves, just until wilted.
- Arrange in single layer on paper towels; pat dry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry to form 14-inch (35 cm) square.
- Place on sheet of parchment paper large enough to cover large rimless baking sheet.
- Cover pastry with spinach, leaving about 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) border at edges.
- Spread half of the stuffing over spinach; layer with salmon slices, then remaining stuffing.
- Mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water; brush some lightly on uncovered top and side borders of pastry.
- Starting at bottom edge and using paper as support, roll up, pressing egg-washed top edge onto pastry; fold in sides, pressing together lightly.
- Place roll and paper on rimmed baking sheet.
- Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours; add 10 minutes to baking time.
- Brush lightly with egg wash.
- Bake in centre of oven for about 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- To serve, trim off ends and cut pastry package crosswise into 8 slices.
- Pool one-quarter of the sauce onto each warmed plate.
- Arrange 2 slices per serving on top of sauce.
- Shallot Cream Sauce.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, simmer shallots with vinegar over medium-low heat until vinegar is evaporated.
- Add cream; simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
- Whisking constantly, add butter, a few cubes at a time, to make creamy sauce.
- Add pepper.