Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A spicy yogurt marinade prepares salmon or ocean trout for a great barbecue, and fresh mango and coriander turn prepared mango chutney into something party worthy. If you don't have garam masala, look on Recipezaar, there are some good recipes for it! A little tip: Always use two skewers instead of one; it will stop the food from spinning around on a single skewer. Recipe adapted from Jill Dupleix, The Age.
- 7 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 salmon fillets, skinned (or you may use ocean trout fillets)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (or lemon)
- 4 ounces baby spinach leaves
Fresh mango chutney
- 1 fresh ripe mango
- 4 tablespoons mango chutney (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 chili pepper, sliced (jalapeno, serrano, etc.-red or green-use 1 small one or to taste)
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for about an hour to keep from burning.
- Combine the yogurt, ginger, garlic, spices, salt and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing well.
- Cut the salmon into bite-sized chunks, coat in the yogurt mixture and set aside for about 30 minutes .
- To make the mango chutney:.
- Peel and dice the mango flesh and mix with the prepared chutney, mint and chilli, adding a little squeeze of lime juice if the mango is really ripe.
- Heat the barbecue grill to medium, and oil well.
- Thread 3 chunks of salmon onto each skewer and grill for 3 minutes or just until lightly scorched.
- Turn and grill the other side very briefly or until done to your liking.
- Skewer a wedge of lime on each, and serve with the baby spinach and fresh mango chutney.
- Add a dollop of extra yoghurt if you like. Enjoy!
- Serves 4.
- Tip: Always use two skewers instead of one; it will stop the food from spinning around on a single skewer.