Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a heart healthy, easy to make salmon recipe. The cucumber salad gives this dish an extra crunch. This is a Good Housekeeping recipe.
- 1 cup short white rice (or medium grain)
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry (or Japanese rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon steaks (each 1 in. thick)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Arrange oven rack 4 inches from heat source. Preheat broiler.
- Cook rice as label directs.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, green onion, vinegar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate.
- Make teriyaki sauce: In small saucepan, heat sherry, honey, 1/2 cup soy sauce, and 2 tablespoons sugar to boiling on medium-high heat. Cook 10 minutes or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, line 151/2 'x101/2' jelly-roll pan or broiler pan with foil. Sprinkle salmon with 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to season both sides, and arrange on pan. Broil 4 minutes. Turn salmon over and broil 2 to 3 minutes longer or until just opaque throughout.
- To plate: Divide rice, and cucumber salad among 4 dinner plates. Place salmon on top of rice anbd spoon teriyaki sauce over salmon and sprinkle with sesame seeds.