Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From The Best Recipes in the World by Mark Bittman. I haven't tried this yet--posted for safekeeping.
- 4 (6 -8 ounce) salmon steaks
- 1⁄3 cup sake or 1⁄3 cup slightly sweet white wine
- 1⁄3 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, then add the salmon.
- Brown quickly on both sides, not more than 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the fish to a plate and turn the heat to medium.
- Add 2 tablespoons water, followed by the wine, mirin, sugar, and soy sauce.
- Stir to blend and, when he mixture is producing lively bubbles and beginning to thicken, return the salmon to the pan.
- Cook, turning the salmon in the sauce, until it becomes more of a glaze than a liquid, not more than a couple of minutes. By that time the salmon will be cooked adequately (it should still be slightly undercooked in its center.