Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Real Simple's featured salmon recipes.
Make and share this Salmon, Sweet Potato, and Broccoli Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion (chopped, about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk (or substitute evaporated milk, or half & half)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and diced, about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves, or 1/4 tsp ground thyme)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb skinless salmon fillet (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese (shredded ~ for garnish ~ can substitute cheddar, if desired)
- In a large, heavy saucepan, over medium heat, cook the onion in the butter until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Whisk in the broth and milk, then add the sweet potato, bay leaf, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the salmon and broccoli and simmer until the salmon is cooked through and the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Serves 4-6 ~ garnish with shredded Asiago (or cheddar) cheese, if desired.
This is a great creamy soup with tons of flavor! I liked the salmon and broccoli together and topped it with a parmesan/romano blend. I used all dried spices since that is what I had on hand; also had some heavy cream to use up so used 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream. Was perfect for the rainy/snowy gloomy day we had. Made for Zaar Stars.