Recipe by JoyfulCook
Its a surprisingly delicious way of serving salmon, a surprise because when I first made it, I just put things in first and - then had to remember what I had done! Its a reasonably healthy dish too being a mixture of freshly cooked salmon, tomatoes etc. wrapped in puff pastry It serves a whole bunch of friends - either as a hot meal and wonderful at a buffet as you can prepare it well ahead of time and serve it cold.
- 2 ounces rice, long grain
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 onion, large chopped
- salt, low
- pepper, Black
- 13 ounces tomatoes, canned and chopped
- 12 -14 ounces salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb puff pastry, ready made
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rice in boiling water for 11-12 minutes, or until just cooked, dont overcook as it goes mushy. and rinse with cold water, drain and allow to cool.
- Simmer the Salmon fillets, allow to cool then strip off any skin and remove the bones, break up the flesh unto small crumbly pieces.
- heat up the butter in a medium sized saucepan and saute the onion gently for at least 3 minutes, add a tiny amount more butter, if it starts to stick, or a splash of water also does the trick.
- Drain the tomatoes retaining some of the liquid, in case it gets too dry and simmer for 15 minutes and leave to cool.
- Pre heat oven to 400-420.
- Combine the rice with the onion and tomato mix, the flaked salmon, parsley lemon zest, h alf of the beaten egg and the juice, season with the pepper and salt.
- Rollout the puff pastry to a large oblong about 12x16 inches. arrange the mix down the middle of the pastry like a meatloaf, brush the edges of te pastry with water and wrap the ends over then the sides.
- Turn over and place on a lined biscuit tray, brush the top with the beaten egg, and snip vents along the top.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes in a hot oven.