Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Based on a recipe from Anna-Maija’s and Juha Tanttu’s book, Food from Finland. Short of knowing a fisherman, I get my salmon for this from a reliable sushi-grade fish monger. In Portland, Maine, this would be Brown’s Trading Company. If anyone in Maine knows of another reliable source, please let me know!
- 400 g salmon, lightly salted and diced into tiny cubes
- 1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon juice
- fresh ground white pepper
- fish roe
- dill sprigs
- black bread or white bread, toasted
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Season with lemon juice, white pepper, and salt, if necessary. Check the seasonings.
- Form the mixture into serving portions just as you would beef steak tartare.
- Decorate with fish roe and springs of dill.
- Serve with toast.