1/1 Photo of Salmon Steak in Caramel Sauce (Vietnamese Ca Kho)
A typical Vietnamese rice dinner has a salty meat (thit kho) or fish dish (ca kho), plus a vegetables (blanched vegetables or stir fry) and clear broth soup. This dish is typical of the salty fish dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat heavy sauce pan (large enough to accomodate fish without overlapping) on medium high.
- 2Add sugar, melt and caramelize (you want it brown, but not burnt). Sugar should be brown and very hot.
- 3Add minced ginger (be careful, it may sizzle if there's water in the ginger) and stir for about 15 seconds.
- 4Add fish sauce and fresh cracked pepper. Stir.
- 5Add fish steaks, do not overlap fish to make sure each piece is soaked in the sauce.
- 6Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Do not cover. The sauce needs to thicken into a light syrup. If the sauce gets too thick, add a teaspoon of water at a time to thin.
- 7Turn fish over and cook for another 4 minutes or until fish is cooked depending on the thickness of your fish steaks.
- 8Serve immediate with steamed white rice. The sauce is good on the rice.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon Steak in Caramel Sauce (Vietnamese Ca Kho)
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.6
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 66.8 mg
- Sodium 761.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: