Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A nice light luncheon dish or serve with green beans and baked potato for a heartier meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 can salmon
- Preheat oven to 350F Butter 1 quart baking dish.
- Place a larger pan in oven.
- Add a small measure of hot water to pan.
- Separate eggs.
- Beat whites until stiff.
- Mix first 4 ingredients and cook in a saucepan over low/med.
- heat until thick.
- Cool slightly.
- Add cracker crumbs, onion, beaten egg yolks, lemon juice and S&P.
- Flake one can of salmon and add to mixture.
- Lastly fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Place baking dish in the pan of water in the oven.
- 350F degrees for 45 minutes.
- Don't peek or open oven door!
- Serve immediately.
This was so tasty! I used most of a 15 oz can of salmon, and it turned out very well. I was afraid that my 1-qt souffle dish wouldn't be big enough, so I used an 8 in. square pan. This was my first time cooking with canned salmon; when I first opened the can, I didn't have much hope of making a good meal with the contents (I didn't know that the skin and bones would still be in there!) :). The end result of this recipe was well worth the effort of picking through the salmon, though. Thanks for sharing!