Recipe by English_Rose
An interesting sixteenth-century recipe: griddled salmon steaks in a sweet-sour spiced onion sauce.
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 (6 ounce) salmon steaks
- oil, for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the white wine, cinnamon and onion in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer briskly until reduced by one third.
- Add the vinegar and ginger, and simmer for a few minutes more until slightly syrupy.
- Meanwhile, preheat a stovetop griddle pan. Brush the salmon with oil.
- Place the salmon on the griddle and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning once.
- Place the salmon on warmed serving plates and spoon the syrup over the top.