Recipe by twissis
This recipe is from the *Best Seafood Recipes* of the Australian Women's Weekly cookbook series. I admit to a major revision of the recipe as it was originally for crepe rollups & I was not as interested in 12 crepes & their labor-intensive prep as I was in 6 sliced rollups as a starter course w/the sauce. If you disagree, then feel free to use your favorite crepe recipe to yield 12 crepes (a top & bottom w/the salmon mixture spread in the centers ... then rolled & sliced). If you are into an easier & make-ahead fix w/the same yummy outcome, then give this version a whirl. (Time does not include chilling time) *Enjoy*
Top Review by Mia in Germany
This is a great recipe! I used my own homemade French dressing, sheep's cream cheese and gluten free tortillas. This didn't change the original taste I guess because the sheep's cream cheese tastes nearly exactly like the cow's milk one. Thanks for sharing this :)
Made for ZWT 8 / AUS/nz for the Lively Lemon Lovelies
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 9 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 7 1⁄2 ounces canned red salmon (well-drained & cleaned of all debris)
For Lime Butter Sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon lime rind (grated)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon French dressing
- 6 1⁄2 ounces butter (softened)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Salmon Filling & Rollups:.
- Blend or process cheese & lemon juice till smooth. Add salmon & blend till smooth. Chill in refrigerator till mixture has regained a spread consistency.
- Spread the mixture equally & evenly atop 6 flour tortillas. Roll tortillas snugly & wrap in plastic wrap or secure w/toothpicks.
- Put rollups in freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour to get very cold for easy slicing, but do not fully freeze.
- When well-chilled, trim rounded uneven edges from the rollups & nibble on them while you slice ea rollup into 6 1-inch pieces.
- Refrigerate till ready for use or overnight, but allow pieces to get close to room temp b4 serving.
- For Lime Butter Sauce:.
- Combine egg yolks, rind, juice & dressing in top of a double saucepan & stir constantly over simmering water for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in sml pieces of softened butter & whisk till sauce thickens. Remove from heat & stir in chopped dill.
- To Serve: Put approx 2 tbsp of warm butter sauce on salad or dessert size plates, top w/4 of the 1-inch sliced rollup pieces & drizzle lightly w/some extra sauce. Serve immediately.