Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Love these! I'm always looking for recipes that call for canned salmon (an inexpensive way to get the nutrition from the fish) These puffs are fun to make and great tasting! This recipe was adapted from "At Home with Family & Friends" cookbook from Cornerstone Television.
- 1 (14 ounce) candrained salmon
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- oil, for deep frying ",or",pan frying
- Heat oil in deep fryer or in deep heavy saucepan until hot but not smoking.
- In a bowl, separate salmon with a fork.
- Add flour, egg, parsley, salt,lemon juice, and black pepper.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add baking powder to 1/4 c. milk and with a fork beat until foamy
- Pour this mixture into salmon and mix until well blended.
- Using 2 teaspoons, scoop up mixture with one spoon and with the other spoon, slide mixture into the hot oil.
- The puffs will cook quickly and are done as soon as they are brown.
- Remove puffs from oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.
Yum, yum, yum. So much better than the salmon cakes I usually make. I will make these from now on. I did pan fry them in a little bit more oil than usual for sauteeing. Great recipe.
I've been making this recipe for awhile now..was going to add it but searched and see it is already here. These are a fast/simple and very tasty treat to toss together. You can make them with tuna or salmon, and if you don't have milk on hand you can simply retain 1/4 cup of the liquid from the salmon or tuna and use that. They also lend themselves well to additions. Some chopped onion (my wifes favorite)..or for me, some chedder cheese in the tuna ones! I've also had the salmon with no lemon juice, added 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise and a bit of dill weed. Lovely!
I have been having a difficult time learning to like fish again and this was amazing! There's only a hint of lemon and salmon, everything is mild tasting, but very good. I had to pan fry these and I used olive oil. Wonderful - thank you!