Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Posting for ZWT 2006, this is a yummy sounding two crust savory pie. made with can salmon thus convenient but I will probably sub fresh cooked salmon when I make it here at home. I have taken the liberty of adding some dill into the ingredient list.
- 6 potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (6 ounce) canned red salmon, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain, cool and chop.
- In a medium saucepan, cook onions, garlic and butter over medium heat until vegetables become transparent in color.
- Add onion/garlic mixture, dill, salmon and thyme to cooked potatoes; mash all together with milk, adding just enough to bring about a mashed potato consistency; spread evenly into pie shell.
- Place second pie shell over top of salmon mixture; cut slits into the upper shell, then pinch edges of both pie shells together; bake on lower rack of oven for 45 minutes.
This is how I like salmon pie. But I used less herbs. It was great. Thanks Janet :) Made for Name that ingredient tag game
We enjoyed this for dinner last night. My first 2 crust pie ever! :) Cook time was right on and I thought everything came together really easily. We thought the flavor was good and DH gave it a thumbs up too. I think it would be really great served with a newburg sauce!
This was different from the usual salmon pie I normally make. I, too, used a large can of pink (not red) salmon but it was the addition of the herbs my family didn't care for. I'm not a salmon pie eater so this recipe was reviewed by my hubby and GD. Sorry, I wish I could have done better by you. TFS, others have loved it and more will too. Made this pie for ZWT3 British/Irish regional.