Recipe by Happy Harry #2
My mom was never much of a cook(bless her soul). She learned on her own. This was one of her "mistakes" that turned out just great! I've changed it ever so slightly. Time to prepare includes chilling time.
- 14 3⁄4 ounces canned red salmon
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold mashed potatoes (no gravy,pls)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp., divided
- 1⁄4 cup matzo meal (can use cracker meal)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, finely grated (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I use salt substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest (fresh is important)
- 2 tablespoons light vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and remove skin from salmon, leave bones.
- Mix everything but the oils and 1 tbsp butter together. Let rest in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Make all the patties and place them on a plate. If they feel a bit too soft to you from the handling, place back in refrigerator for awhile. Don't make more than recipe calls for or they will be dry on the inside.
- Keep them about the size of your palm -- they will be fat -- press down but don't mash flat.
- Spray large frying pan with Pam. Heat over medium-high. Add 1/2 tbls butter and one tbsp oil to coat pan nicely. Swirl butter around.
- Fry four patties at a time til golden brown on both sides.
- Add rest of butter and 1 tbsp oil. Repeat.
- These are good either hot or cold.