I like to have a good amount of fish in my diet, but my other half isn't much of a fish eater except for salmon, which he tolerates. I get sick and tired of having the same ol' salmon dish all the time though (grilled with lemon, herbs, chilli, etc.) and as we both love anything with pastry I thought I'd have a go at a salmon pastry pie one day. This is the result...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Please note that I use two seperate 1 pint dishes for this recipe, but I can't see why it wouldn't work just as well in one big dish.
- 2Pre-heat oven to 190c.
- 3Steam the spinach leaves until they wilt and saute off the onion for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- 4Make up the white sauce while the spinach and onion are cooking - I make it from scratch as it's so easy. I do it from memory but it's about 1tbsp butter (melted) mixed with the same amount of flour to make a roux, then 1/2pt or so of milk added gradually over the heat, and stir til it thickens nicely. Add the lemon and garlic pepper to the sauce towards the end if you're going to add it.
- 5Layer the sauce with the onion, spinach, salmon and mushrooms in your dish(es).
- 6If your pastry's not pre-rolled, roll it out and place it on top of the salmon, etc. I like to tuck it in down the sides because I'm too lazy to cut it to size. Either prick the surface with a fork or score out some lines along the top.
- 7Brush the pastry with either egg or milk and bake in the oven at 190c for approx 30 minutes.
- 8NB. My oven is a bit nuts, so you may well need to adjust the time/setting.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon Pot Pie / En Croute (Sort Of!)
Serving Size: 1 (569 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 953.9
- Calories from Fat 445
- Total Fat 49.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 165.3 mg
- Sodium 504.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 73.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: