Recipe by Lexie
This is my re-creation of a dish from my favorite Italian restaurant. The restaurant serves it with roasted red potatoes, which is the perfect accompaniment, along with some hot Italian bread. Hope you enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 4 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup white wine (Chardonnay works well)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 4 (4 ounce) salmon fillets
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, about 5 minutes, or until just beginning to color.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, thyme, basil, vinegar, sugar, olives, capers and salt and pepper, raising heat to medium high.
- Cook for 1 minute, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Water may be added if the sauce seems too dry.
- Stir in the wine and 1/4 cup of water.
- Place the salmon, skin side down on top of the sauce.
- Cover pan and cook 10-15 minutes on medium-low, or until salmon is cooked through.
- Remove salmon from pan and top with sauce,.
- Splash with additional balsamic vinegar as desired.