Prep 2 hrs 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is and elegant salad that is perfect for a weekend lunch.Serve it with a simple dessert and you have a wonderfully light and delicious meal
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless salmon fillets, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) packageeuropean style mixed salad greens, torn
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Fresh Orange Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1 dash orange juice, as desired
- Thaw salmon, if frozen.
- Cut salmon fillet lengthwise into 6 even strips.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Starting with the thick end of each strip, roll into pinwheels.
- Secure each pinwheel with a wooden toothpick or wooden skewer In a large skillet combine white wine or water, the 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Add salmon.
- Return to boiling and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until fish just flakes easily when tested with a fork, turn once.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove salmon from cooking liquid.
- Discard cooking liquid.
- Cover and chill salmon in refrigerator at least 2 hours In a small bowl stir together sour cream, shredded orange peel, orange juice, sugar, and poppy seed.
- Add additional orange juice 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency.
- To serve, arrange salad greens, orange sections, cucumber slices and almonds on salad plates or in salad bowls.
- Top each salad with a salmon pinwheel.
- Spoon fresh orange dressing over salads.