1/1 Photo of Salmon Pie/Pate Au Saumon
1 hr 30 mins
Amy Duchesne's Note:
In Quebec, this recipe is called Pate au Saumon- thus the french name. In English: Salmon Pie. The first time I tried a recipe similar to this, made by my mother-in-law, I didn't like it! Now, with my version, I can't get enough!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml shortening or 118.29 ml pure lard
- 236.59 ml water
- 236.59 ml flour (to roll out dough)
- 1Crust: mix 4 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a medium to large mixing bowl.
- 2Cut in the 1/2 cup of shortening with pastry cutter, two knives or a fork- until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 3Add water to the mixture a little at a time, you can use a fork or you hands to mix the flour and water- until all is mixed and is slightly sticky.
- 4Roll the dough out on a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- 5Cut the dough in half and chill the 2 balls of dough until needed.
- 7While boiling (40 mins) or steaming (30-40 mins) the potatoes, drain and de-bone the salmon.
- 8I personally don't like any bones, no matter how soft they are in my pie!
- 9Once potatoes are done and you can insert a fork into them without resistance, drain water (if boiled) and with a hand mixer start to cream the potatoes.
- 10Add the butter to the potatoes--as much or as little as you want--and cream together until the butter is melted and evenly distributed.
- 11Add the milk a 1/2 cup at a time until the potatoes are smooth and creamy, but not too thin nor too thick.
- 12Add the salmon chives, basil, salt and pepper and mix with the mixer or by hand.
- 13Add enough salt that you can taste it through the potatoes sufficiently.
- 14Roll out the first ball of dough large enough for the bottom and sides of a 13x9x2-inch pan.
- 15Line the pan with dough and add mashed potato mixture evenly into the pan.
- 16Roll out second ball of dough and place it on top of the filling; cut off excess dough and seal the edges of the pie.
- 17Make incisions in the dough like this:/// or like this:+.
- 18Bake for 40 minutes at 400°F or until browned on top and on bottom on the middle rack in the oven.
- 19Serve right away--we like it with butter melted on top and salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon Pie/Pate Au Saumon
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 845.5
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 550.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 24.1 g