Recipe by BeachGirl
Dress your salmon patties with the Creamed Pea sauce to give them a new flavor dimension and set them apart from the ordinary! Asparagus can be substituted for the peas.
Top Review by Caryn Dalton
Wow! I really loved the sauce on these! We used canned peas and didn't have dill so I substituted sage, lemon pepper and a little parsley flakes...just yummy! Also, I used 3/4 pack of saltine crackers instead of instant mashed potatoes..that got them too dry so I had to add an egg. No bother, they still turned out great! Thanks for posting and what a great idea for a sauce for the salmon patties. Definately makes "country food" seem like gourmet.
- 2 -4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 -4 teaspoons canola oil or 2 -4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can salmon, reserve liquid
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup onion, grated or diced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
CREAMED PEA SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk (skim, 2% or whole)
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen green peas
Directions See How It's Made
- PATTIES: Drain liquid from salmon and reserve for sauce.
- Remove bones and skin, and flake salmon.
- Mix all patty ingredients together.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Dip both sides in flour.
- In frying pan, heat oil and fry patties over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides- about 10 minutes.
- SAUCE: While patties are cooking, place peas in colander and rinse with hot water to defrost.
- Drain In saucepan or skillet, melt butter; with whisk, stir in flour.
- Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup reserved salmon liquid and milk, whisking to form a creamy sauce.
- Add dill, salt and pepper, stirring constantly over medium heat until mixture gently boils and thickens.
- Stir in the pea and cook 30 seconds to warm.
- Do not cook peas.
- Place patties on individual plates and spoon the sauce over.
- ***Note: If you prefer, you can place the salmon mixture in 4 greased muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- If using this method, omit the first two recipe ingredients (oil and flour).
- VARIATION: You can substitute lightly steamed fresh asparagus for the peas.
- If using asparagus, do not put in sauce.
- Place asparagus over salmon patties and spoon sauce over both.