Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
My grandmother used to make these for us. Sometimes for breakfast. I will post the recipe for garlic cheese grits if there is interest.
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can pink salmon, remove spine please
- 3⁄4-1 cup self-rising white cornmeal
- 1 cup white onions or 1 cup yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons diced pimentos (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 lemon (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 cup vegetable oil
- After removing liquid, pour salmon into a bowl.
- Remove spine pieces by halving the fish length wise.
- Flake remaining salmon with a fork.
- Add onions (Reserve 3 slivers) (Use up to one whole onion).
- Add salt, crushed red pepper, and white pepper.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add black pepper, garlic salt, pimientos and half of the old bay and mix again.
- Add egg to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix corn meal and remaining (not lemon or oil) ingredients.
- Use more corn meal for stiffer patties and less for more moisture in your finished croquets.
- Add corn meal mixture to the salmon mixture bowl.
- Using clean hands for balls of the mixture and set aside.
- Heat oil in an iron skillet (or whatever you use for fried chicken) on medium heat (Use*only* enough to cover the lower half of the patties you form).
- WHILE OIL IS HEATING- Form patties from the salmon balls you made previously (Should end up with about 8 patties).
- Test oil by dropping an onion sliver in to see if it frys quickly.
- Place 3 to 4 patties in skillet at a time (Don't crowd them).
- Turn after bottom browns (approx 3 minutes)/Turn again when second side is done.
- Patties should be on original side now (Cook for about 20 more seconds and remove to paper towels).
- Serve with Lemon wedge, Trappey's BULL hot sauce, and garlic cheese grits.
Different and interesting.
I have tried for MANY years to make a moist flavorful Salmon Patty. This recipe is fantastic. Everyone loved it, which living with picky eaters is saying a lot! Had a great flavor and moist! I did the recipe exactly as it states. Easy to make. Thanks!