Don't recall where this recipe came from years ago, but it is one of the few salmon recipes that I really like. Note that 1.75 cups of cold baked salmon can be substituted for the canned salmon. If the final product seems too dry for your taste, additional red wine vinegar and olive oil can be added.
- 15 1⁄2 ounces red salmon
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup ripe olives, sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse & remove skin & bones & other tissue from red salmon, then break into medium-size pieces.
- Cook pasta according to box, then chill.
- In large bowl, mix together salmon, pasta, carrots, celery, olives, onion & bell pepper.
- In smaller bowl, combine vinegar, oils, sugar, oregano, salt & pepper & mix well, then pour it over salmon mixture, tossing carefully to coat.
- Serve immediately, or cover, chill & serve later.
I scaled back the recipe by halving it and I have really enjoyed the small portion I've sampled: I've made it for take-to-work lunches for the next few days. Though I don't see it lasting for many days! Delicious blend of flavours. I used penne pasta, kalamata olives, roasted red pepper (from my Greek delicatessen) and I added a few drops of lemon juice, a sprinkling of garlic powder, a couple of grindings of a rosemary and sage herb blend and I added some chopped walnuts just before serving. I'll also be keeping those separate from the next few serves I eat and again adding them just before serving. They added some additional crunch to a fabulously flavoursome salad that I'll certainly be making again throughout the summer. Thank you for sharing another super-star recipe, Sydney Mike!
I made this using canned salmon, with a few amount adjustments, this was thoroughly enjoyed by my family! thanks for sharing Sydney!...Kitten:)
This salad is fantastic! The blend of flavors make it exquisite...a great light fare!