Recipe by JackieOhNo!
Believe it or not, this is a wonderful low-calorie meal for the hot weather season. Served on some torn fresh spinach leaves, or other salad greens, it is filling and guilt-free. Canned salmon or tuna can also be substituted for the fresh poached salmon. (Preparation time given includes cooling time.)
Top Review by mliss29
I tried it before adding the salmon and I thought it was pretty good that way, so I left the salmon for my husband. He really liked them together. I used canned salmon, and because I didn't want to buy cottage cheese for such a small amount, I used 1/3 cup yogurt in place of that and the mayonnaise. Reviewed for ZWT4.
- 2 1⁄2 cups rotelle pasta
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces fresh salmon steaks
- 1⁄4 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small cucumber, diced, about 1 cup
- 1 small zucchini, julienned, about 1 cup
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- torn fresh spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Place salmon steak in a microwave-safe dish; pour 1/4 cup chicken broth over salmon. Cover dish, venting and cook on high for 2 to 3 minutes, until salmon is just opaque. Cool, covered. Remove bones and skin from cooled salmon; flake and set aside.
- Meanwhile, process cottage cheese, mayonnaise, 2 T. chicken broth, and vinegar in a food processor or blender until smooth; stir in onion, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Add green beans to past cooking water about 3 minutes before pasta is done. When pasta is ready and green beans are crisp-tender, drain well; place in a large bowl, tossing with remaining 2 T. of chicken broth to moisten. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Toss pasta and green beans with reserved cottage cheese mixture to coat completely; stir in cucumber, zucchini, and tomatoes. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Serve pasta mixture on individual serving plates lined with spinach leaves and top with flaked salmon.