Recipe by susie cooks
Recipe from Gourmet Magazine
Top Review by spatchcock
Since DH and I don't eat poultry, we made this for Thanksgiving dinner. Excellent flavor. I followed the recipe as writen, except that I, like the previous reviewer, also did my slicing by hand. I will be making this again. Thanks for posting!
- 1 small fennel bulb, stalks discarded
- 3 medium carrots (1/2 pound)
- 1⁄2 lb small red potato
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, slivered
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) center-cut salmon fillets, skinned and fish cut into 4 square pieces
- 4 ounces butter, quartered evenly
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Special equipment: a mandoline or other manual slicer, 4 pieces parchment paper, kitchen string Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Halve fennel bulb lengthwise.
- Remove most of core, leaving enough intact to keep layers together when sliced.
- Using manual slicer, cut fennel bulb (lengthwise), carrots (diagonally), and potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick slices, keeping vegetables separate.
- Blanch vegetables, separately, in salted boiling water: fennel 2 minutes, carrots 1 minute, potatoes 2 minutes.
- Transfer fennel and carrots with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water then drain well.
- Drain potatoes.
- Toss fennel and carrots with olives, zest, thyme, half of garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss potatoes with remaining oil and garlic and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fold the parchment paper in half along the longest side.
- Divide potato mixture among centers of parchment squares.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper and place on top of potatoes, then top salmon the fennel mixture.
- Add a pat of butter to the package and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Fold the parchment paper up over fennel mixture and crimp the edges.
- Place packages directly on hot baking sheet in oven and cook 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.