This recipe is chef Robert Freitag's variation of a recipe by Joyce Goldstein, chef-owner of Square One, in San Francisco, until it closed in 1996. The chef likes to use king salmon when making this dish. Found in Gourmet magazine, January 1999.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small saucepan warm brandy over moderate heat and add currants.
- 2Remove pan from heat.
- 3Let mixture stand, covered, 20 minutes.
- 4Halve onions lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- 5In a large skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and cook onions, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Reduce heat to moderate and cook onions, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 15 minutes more.
- 7Add currant mixture, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- 8Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool.
- 9Caramelized onions may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- 10Preheat oven to 475°F.
- 11Fold each parchment piece in half crosswise and cut each piece to make a large rounded heart shape. (Folded piece should be at least 2 inches larger all around than salmon fillet.)
- 12Open a parchment "heart" and put a salmon fillet in middle of one side.
- 13Sprinkle fillet with 1 tablespoon wine and salt and pepper to taste.
- 14Spread one fourth caramelized onions on fillet and fold other side of parchment over.
- 15Beginning at bottom end of center crease, in overlapping 1-inch segments fold edges of parchment, crimping as you go, to form a tight seal.
- 16Make 3 more papillotes in same manner.
- 17Papillotes may be made up to this point 4 hours ahead and chilled, covered.
- 18Put papillotes on a large baking sheet and bake 9 to 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted through parchment and into fish slides out smoothly.
- 19Serve papillotes immediately, cutting them open at table.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon Papillotes With Caramelized Onions and Currants
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 689.5
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 146.2 mg
- Sodium 247.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 67.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: