This zesty salad complements salmon’s richness while almonds add crunch. The fish can be served hot or cold as a light main course. To serve it as a hearty starter for a meal, cut fish fillets in half lengthwise before grilling. If serving salmon cold, grill right away. If serving hot, make salad first. Recipe by Food and Drink Magazine, Marilyn Bentz Crowley
- 1⁄2 lime
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄2 orange
- 4 (6 -7 ounce) skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black peppercorns (3 grindings)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 oranges
- 1 large fresh fennel bulb
- 4 cups baby greens or 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Using microplane or other grater, zest lime, lemon and orange. Combine zests; set aside. Juice lime, lemon and orange; combine juices and set aside.
- To grill salmon, preheat barbecue to medium-hot. Brush bright pink tops of salmon with butter; place buttered-side-down on grill for 4 to 5 minutes or until brown grill marks are evident. Turn salmon; continue grilling for another 4 to 5 minutes or until a fork used to separate the flakes of flesh show a slightly undercooked centre for medium or opaque for well-done.
- Sprinkle each fillet with a pinch or 2 of zest (all zest will not be used). If serving cold, cover and refrigerate immediately for up to a day.
- To make salad, stir reserved juices with sugar, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil; set aside.
- Cut rind off oranges; section.
- Cut off green fronds from fennel; finely chop some of feather part for garnish. Cut bulb in half; core. Using a mandolin or fine blade of food processor, finely slice crosswise into slaw-like pieces. There should be 4 to 5 cups (1 to 1.25 L).
- Toss fennel and orange sections with dressing. (If making earlier in day, cover and refrigerate fennel mixture and dressing separately until ready to serve.).
- Line serving plates with salad greens; top with fennel orange mixture. Lay salmon, hot or cold, over salad and strew with almonds and reserved fennel tops.