1/2 Photos of Salmon on Fennel Salad
This zesty salad complements salmon’s richness while almonds add crunch. The fish can be served hot or cold as a light main course. To serve it as a hearty starter for a meal, cut fish fillets in half lengthwise before grilling. If serving salmon cold, grill right away. If serving hot, make salad first. Recipe by Food and Drink Magazine, Marilyn Bentz Crowley
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using microplane or other grater, zest lime, lemon and orange. Combine zests; set aside. Juice lime, lemon and orange; combine juices and set aside.
- 2To grill salmon, preheat barbecue to medium-hot. Brush bright pink tops of salmon with butter; place buttered-side-down on grill for 4 to 5 minutes or until brown grill marks are evident. Turn salmon; continue grilling for another 4 to 5 minutes or until a fork used to separate the flakes of flesh show a slightly undercooked centre for medium or opaque for well-done.
- 3Sprinkle each fillet with a pinch or 2 of zest (all zest will not be used). If serving cold, cover and refrigerate immediately for up to a day.
- 4To make salad, stir reserved juices with sugar, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil; set aside.
- 5Cut rind off oranges; section.
- 6Cut off green fronds from fennel; finely chop some of feather part for garnish. Cut bulb in half; core. Using a mandolin or fine blade of food processor, finely slice crosswise into slaw-like pieces. There should be 4 to 5 cups (1 to 1.25 L).
- 7Toss fennel and orange sections with dressing. (If making earlier in day, cover and refrigerate fennel mixture and dressing separately until ready to serve.).
- 8Line serving plates with salad greens; top with fennel orange mixture. Lay salmon, hot or cold, over salad and strew with almonds and reserved fennel tops.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon on Fennel Salad
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.4
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 331.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 39.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: