Recipe by *Pixie*
I like to whip this up after a day at work and relax while it's baking. If desired you can make it even faster by using two tins of cream of mushroom soup instead of the home made white sauce in the recipe.
- 3 (7 1/2 ounce) cans salmon, water packed,drained and mashed,reserving about
- 3 tablespoons water (from the can)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can water chestnut, drained and cut in thin strips (optional)
- 1 (350 g) package broad egg noodles
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated (divided)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 slices bread, diced in 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick pan, cook the onion and green pepper in the liquid from the salmon until tender.
- Add the salmon and water chestnuts and mix thoroughly.
- Set aside.
- Prepare noodles using package directions adding the frozen vegetables for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the hot red pepper, stir until bubbling and remove from heat.
- Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Add a few tablespoons of milk and blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining milk and stir until blended.
- Return to a medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until thickened to a white sauce.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and stir until blended.
- Mix the cheese sauce, the noodles/veggies and the salmon mixture.
- Mix well and spread evenly in a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- Mix the bread cubes and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle evenly on top of salmon noodle mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes until hot and the bread cubes are browned.