Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs 15 mins
A slow-cooker find that is outstanding. No heating up the kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium boiling potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- salt, to taste
- minced fresh parsley or chives
- In a big skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Saute the onion, celery, and mushrooms for about 7 minutes or until the mushrooms have given off their liquid and start to brown.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker add the sauteed vegetables and potatoes; stir to combine.
- Add in the clam juice, water, wine, tarragon, thyme, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- In a bowl, add the cornstarch and cream; whisk to combine; add into the chowder; stir to combine.
- Add in the salmon and peas; increase heat to HIGH; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until the salmon is firm.
- Add salt to taste.
- Ladle chowder into individual soup bowls; sprinkle with parsley or chives.