Recipe by mummamills
got this from Australia's greatest cook, Margaret Fulton, my mentor :) Great luncheon dish, or entree, also great for a party, served with crackers. I have made this as individual serves, (muffin size, using paper cups, great for picnics) and in a ring mould, putting the sauce in the centre. I sometimes add a few slices of smoked salmon, when it is on special :) cook time is refridgeration time
Top Review by Sheynath
Delicious! I am so glad I found this recipe when I did, we are having a heat wave and this was a wonderful cold dinner to make and serve at this time! Personal preference, I reduced the salt by half. Also, being in the US I used 2 envelopes of gelatin and it set up very well.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar (wine or white or balsamic or mix)
- 2 cups flaked salmon, no bones (415gr)
- 1 cup finely diced celery (dont process!)
- 2 teaspoons capers (optional)
- 300 ml cream, whipped
SOUR CREAM DRESSING
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle gelatine over water in a small saucepan.
- Soak 2 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar, mustard and vinegar.
- Stir constanly over low heat until gelatine in dissolved.
- Remove from heat and chill till the consistency of egg white, don't over chill!
- Add to salmon, capers and celery, mix well.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Turn into wetted mould, or individual moulds, and chill till set.
- Unmould and serve with salad greens and sour cream dressing.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and chill.