Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is straight out of a Betty Crocker Cookbook from 1985. I use to make it for potlucks in the summertime, but it is good ALL year long! (UPDATE! Based on first review, if you feel it needs a spice boost, try 1/4 tsp Old Bay in it)
- 3 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked (remove the skin but not the bones)
- 3 cups cabbage, finely shredded (red or green)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Cook macaroni as directed on package.
- Mix macaroni, salmon, cabbage, celery, green pepper and onion.
- Mix salt, pepper, oil and vinegar; pour over macaroni mixture and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Oh my YUM! I didn't have any Old Bay, so I improvised with 2 tsp each of pepper and seasoned salt, and the only shredded vegetable matter I could find was broccoli slaw mix. This was light, refreshing and very tasty. Toasted almond slivers would be a good addition. I will definitely make it again. I'm sure it would be excellent with tuna or shredded chicken also.
Nutritious salad. Not very exciting but quite acceptable. Next time I'd add some additional seasonings.