Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe posted in response to a request. This is a very old recipe from my Nana's church cookbook that just sounded yummy and simple.
- 1 cup macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash of grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 (1/2 lb) can salmon, flaked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup bread, cubes
- Cook macaroni according to directions on box.
- Grease a casserole dish.
- Melt in saucepan 4 tblsp butter.
- Remove from heat and blend in flour, salt, pepper, dry mustard, grated onion and nutmeg.
- Gradually stir in 2 cups milk and cook the sauce, stirring constantly until smoothly thickened.
- Add the shredded cheese to the sauce.
- Stir in the macaroni, celery and the flaked salmon.
- Turn into prepared casserole.
- Melt the 1 tblsp butter and add the bread cubes.
- Use to border casserole.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 30 minutes.
I made this for my family last night, I doubled the amount of macaroni and sauteed the celery before adding it. Very tasty and was enjoyed by all.
My husband and I enjoyed your recipe very much.It really is a nice change from Salmon Loaf or Patties.I goofed a bit and used a large can of red salmon,instead of the small can.I think this recipe would work well with the pink salmon, also.Thanks Babs for sharing your recipe.