Recipe by breezermom
This recipe is from "Favorite Recipes of the Episcopal Churches on the Kenai". Old-fashioned comfort food if you like salmon or tuna casserole.
Top Review by Outta Here
A nice twist on two favorite comfort foods-Tuna casserole and Mac 'n Cheese. I liked the addition of the cottage cheese. This turned out very light, more like a souffle. I cut the recipe in half and baked it in a 8x8-inch pan. Thanks for this keeper!
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) carton cottage cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup American cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) can salmon, drained and flaked
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain well, and set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add salt, garlic salt, and pepper, stirring well.
- Combine the sauce, reserved macaroni, cheeses, salmon, and eggs in a large bowl; stir well. Spoon the mixture into a greased 11 x 7 x1 1/2 inch baking dish. Combine soft breadcrumbs (just put bread in a food processor to make these) and 2 tablespoons melted butter; Stir well. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until set.