The salmon steaks are marinated in lemon juice, then lightly pan fried in butter, and finished in the mango sauce. It is sweet without being too sweet.
- 20 ounces salmon steaks (2 steaks 10 oz each)
- fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled pitted and chopped (or 8 oz frozen)
- 2⁄3 cup fish stock or 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon syrup from a jar preserved gingerroot (or from a jar of pickled ginger)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place salmon steaks in a large, shallow baking dish; sprinkle with lemon juice, garlic, tarragon, and salt and pepper; let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place the mango, tomato, shallots in a blender or food processor and process until smooth; add fish stock or water and the ginger liquid and process again.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, then cook the salmon about 3 minutes per side; add the mango puree, cover, and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the salmon to serving dishes, heat the mango puree and adjust seasonings; pour sauce over salmon and serve.