Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you live anywhere in the New York area you have probably come across gefilte fish and if you have never had anything but gefilte fish from a jar I really feel bad for you but you can change your ways. LOL! This is delicious but requires a ready-made frozen salmon roll.
- 22 ounces roll of salmon gefilte fish (use A&B when possible)
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (peel and pith removed)
- fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- Place all ingredients except parsley in medium sized covered pot and bring to a boil.
- After you bring water to a boil lower flame and continue cooking for fifteen minutes.
- Add Parsley.
- Turn fish over and continue cooking for another fifteen minutes.
- With cover on let fish cool down in the water.
- Remove wrapping paper and immediately wrap the fish roll with the carrot in aluminum foil and refrigerate until cool (at least six hours or overnight).
- When ready to serve cut into slices and cut a thin round carrot slice and place in center of fish slice.
- Serve with horseradish sauce or tartar sauce (looks particularly impressive when served in scooped out cucumber cups with strips of peel on and strips off like in a zebra pattern).