If you live anywhere in the New York area you have probably come across gefilte fish and if you have never had anything but gefilte fish from a jar I really feel bad for you but you can change your ways. LOL! This is delicious but requires a ready-made frozen salmon roll.
- 22 ounces roll of salmon gefilte fish (use A&B when possible)
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (peel and pith removed)
- fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- Place all ingredients except parsley in medium sized covered pot and bring to a boil.
- After you bring water to a boil lower flame and continue cooking for fifteen minutes.
- Add Parsley.
- Turn fish over and continue cooking for another fifteen minutes.
- With cover on let fish cool down in the water.
- Remove wrapping paper and immediately wrap the fish roll with the carrot in aluminum foil and refrigerate until cool (at least six hours or overnight).
- When ready to serve cut into slices and cut a thin round carrot slice and place in center of fish slice.
- Serve with horseradish sauce or tartar sauce (looks particularly impressive when served in scooped out cucumber cups with strips of peel on and strips off like in a zebra pattern).