Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Who says healthy can't be delicious! Of course, you can substitute the whole wheat pasta with regular if you prefer, but I find that aside from the health benefits, it actually compliments an earthy flavored dish like this much more.
- 1 lb zucchini, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, julienne cut
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 (6 ounce) cans salmon, bones removed
- 12 ounces whole wheat fusilli
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, for saute
- Heat olive oil in skillet and add onions. Sauté until soft, then add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add tomatoes with juice, raise heat to moderately high and cook, stirring every once in awhile, until they collapse and form a sauce, about 10 minutes. In the meantime, bring water for the pasta to a boil.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and oregano to the tomato mix and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Start cooking the pasta according to the direction on the package.
- Add zucchini, peas, salt, pepper and wine to the tomato sauce and stir. Cover and simmer gently until zucchini are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Fold in salmon, parmesan and remove from heat.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta, toss, then serve.