Recipe by Mirj
This is my version of a recipe that was sent to me over the Internet. We like to have it for special breakfasts, or even for a Saturday evening meal in the summer. The original recipe called for white bread, but I like this with a good multi-grain whole wheat.
Top Review by corinnej
I actually had a hard time putting this together- maybe it was that I am not used to working with canned salmon, but the odors were almost making me gag, so I was anxious about how it would turn out. It was actually wonderful. I added a few extra spices, and my husband and I both ate more than our fair share of it.
- 8 slices bread, crust removed (I prefer whole wheat, use whatever is your favorite)
- 1 can pink salmon, drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 whole egg, plus 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a pie pan with olive oil (or other flavor) cooking spray.
- Layer the slices of bread (overlap them so that they close up the middle).
- After the bread is layered, spray with some more cooking spray, especially the edges of the bread.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the salmon, the green onions, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the 1 whole egg and 4 egg whites, the paprika, the rosemary, and the salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese over the bread.
- Pour the salmon mixture over the cheese.
- Top with the last 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until it is puffy and golden brown around the edges and a knife comes out clean when tested in the middle.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.