Recipe by coconutty
I have been making some version of this dish forever. This is the current one. In the past I have made these with various breading ingredients: matzo meal, breadcrumbs or wheat germ. Now that I am trying to avoid grains, I use hazelnut meal. The coconut oil I use for this is the expeller-pressed version, available from tropicaltraditions.com.
Top Review by AmandaInOz
Very tasty croquettes! I loved that there were no grains in this recipe, and salmon covered in coarsely ground hazelnuts is always lovely. I used a mortar and pestle to grind the hazelnuts by hand, so mine were more coarse than meal, which was great for the outer coating, but I'd recommend a finer grind for making the patties themselves as my mixture was quite wet, and I had a bit of trouble convincing the patties to hold together. Thanks coconutty! Made for PAC Fall 2009.
- olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 (7 ounce) can red salmon
- 1 egg
- onion flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- hazelnuts, ground
- 1 pinch black pepper, freshly ground
- celtic salt (optional)
- lemon juice or lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Start heating the oil in a large skillet (coconut oil must be kept on a low to medium heat and watched carefully to avoid smoking).
- Drain salmon (leave a little moisture in the salmon so the croquettes won't be too dry).
- Remove skin and bones if desired, or mash the salmon (with the skin and bones intact) in a small mixing bowl.
- Add egg; mix well.
- Add onion flakes (or onion powder) to taste, oregano and pepper. Mix well.
- If salmon looks too soft and liquidy, add a little hazelnut meal.
- Form into small balls and roll in hazelnut meal.
- Flatten each patty slightly and place into skillet.
- Saute until browned on both sides.
- Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- I like to add a bit of celtic salt on top of each patty once they are cooked and drizzle lime juice over each patty.
- Alternatively, I omit the salt and lime juice and top each patty with some of my Coconut Ginger Soy Sauce (Recipe #188345).