Southern Lady's Note:
I have prepared these 3 ways: Fried, browned, and oven baked (baked add 15 more minutes to passive cooking). This is the Southern twist as I don't know any other way. If you ask DH what he's hungry for, he'll ALWAYS ask for these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 3/4 ounce) cans pink salmon
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
- 2 tablespoons onions, grated or 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional) or 1 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1Open and drain cans of salmon. Clean by removing skin and bones. (If you miss a few of the tiny bones, don't worry, salmon is so forgiving--they're brittle and edible).
- 2In a medium bowl, add salmon and the next 9 ingredients and mix well.
- 3If you're pan browning or baking, form 8 patties (flying saucer shape).
- 4If you're frying, form 8-10 round balls.
- 5Once the croquettes are formed, roll or dredge in 1/2 cup cornmeal in a shallow bowl.
- 6PAN BROWNING: On med-high, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil and pan brown 4 patties at a time, making sure they don't touch and you have room to flip each one easily. Brown on each side approximately 3 minutes each. Lay a paper towel on a plate and place the first 4 patties. ADD 3 tablespoons more olive oil for remaining patties.
- 7BAKING: Preheat oven to 400°F; lay 8 patties in a metal 9x13-inch pan and Pam spray the top of each. Bake for 10-15 minutes and flip and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes.
- 8FRYING: In a large skillet on medium high heat, add enough oil to cover 1/3 the height of the croquette. Fry 4 at a time giving you room to roll them on all sides until the entire piece is nicely browned (4-5 minutes). Drain on paper towels.
- 9Eat them plain or I offer homemade tartar sauce and seafood cocktail sauce as condiments.
Browse Our Top Freshwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon Croquettes Cornmeal Style
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.0
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 109.7 mg
- Sodium 186.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 46.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: