Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great way to enjoy salmon either fresh or cleaning out your freezer from last season's catch. This recipe is made in two stages so most of the preparation can be done in advance and then frozen. When ready to enjoy just take out the croquettes from the freezer, bread with panko bread crumbs and fry until golden brown! This recipe came from Chef Al Levinsohn, Anchorage Alaska.
- 2 lbs salmon, cut in large chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup cream cheese, whipped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- oil (for frying)
- Sear chunks of salmon quickly in a hot skillet until medium-well done. Try to keep it in large pieces.
- Saute celery and onions quickly in a hot pan with one tablespoon olive oil.
- Remove veggies from heat while the're still crunchy and bright with color. Spread out on a sheet pan to cool in refrigerator to stop cooking process.
- Whip cream cheese in mixer with white pepper and kosher salt.
- Fold in mayonnaise and scallions.
- Combine until no lumps appear.
- By hand fold in cream cheese mixture, cooled vegetables, parsley and salmon together until combined. Do not over-mix. Large pieces of salmon should be evident.
- Using a three-ounce scoop, shape cakes on parchment paper and freeze.
- When ready to cook remove from freezer, bread with panko bread crumbs and pan fry until golden brown. To bread, roll in flour; shake off excess flour; dip in beaten eggs; coat with panko bread crumbs.
- Fry in oil until brown; it browns fast.
- Place in a 350 degree fahrenheit for about 35 minutes to make sure croquettes are warm throughout.